Postgrapile support

Just tested postgraphile https://www.graphile.org/postgraphile/ with the starter project.

Had a little trouble getting the installation to work because neon.tech roles can’t be created through the postgres connection, but created them by hand.

But the real problem seem to be the postgraphile introspection query. The server starts, but it create a schema that is missing a lot of stuff. seem that Neon returns different values for it.
The query s quite a monster and goes through pg_catalog: graphile-engine/introspectionQuery.js at fb4b7f6c1680aa52105013b45b5f4a4639feb0ba · graphile/graphile-engine · GitHub

Would be great to support this also.

the starter project: GitHub - graphile/starter: Opinionated SaaS quick-start with pre-built user account and organization system for full-stack application development in React, Node.js, GraphQL and PostgreSQL. Powered by PostGraphile, TypeScript, Apollo Client, Graphile Worker, Graphile Migrate, GraphQL Code Generator, Ant Design and Next.js

Hi! Thanks for trying it out. Indeed would be cool to support Postgraphile on top of Neon.

Hm, that query seems to come from graphile itself. Was you able to track down what is the reason for breakage? It could be that we don’t give enough privileges to postgres user. Does the same setup work on a standalone postgres with respective version? We support 14 and 15 for now and I see a lot of version-based conditionals in that query.

It was missing for example the info about function inputs, most of the functions were missing… It was a lot, so I just gave up. maybe it was something that is different with the privileges of the user.

postgraphile works fine on pg14 & pg15, use it in production on pg14. I tested 14 on Neon. I think those conditionals are to support older versions.

Anyone ever able to get this to work? I have a postgraphile app I’d love to try with neon.

Adding another vote of support to get Postgraphile working with Neon. I am also stuck at the introspection query not working. For me it looked like functions were read but all of the tables were missing.

Postgraphile v5 in my experience is the most performant graphql API for postgres, and seems like a natural fit for Neon. I badly want to convert from GCP to Neon but the lack of Postgraphile integration is the last remaining blocker for me.

Hey @anesthetic, @psugihara, @xvaara. We recently shipped better support for roles and permissions. This makes it possible for you to use Postgraphile with Neon :tada:

If you run into any issues, feel free to reach out :smile:

1 Like